Friday, April 9, 2010

South Region First Round Matchups

16. Duke vs. 1. Parker

We have no intention of naming our daughter "Duke", but couldn't resist the opportunity to see Duke as a 16 seed. "Parker" will probably be spelled with a silent (The University of Maryland at College) on the beginning, if Marck has his way. That is to say, it won't be spelled with a silent (The University of Maryland at College) on the beginning.

15. Ashley vs. 2. Charlotte

See Midwest region for all you need to know about this matchup.

14. Scout vs. 3. Maude

The young hero from "To Kill a Mockingbird" vs. the not young hero from "Harold and Maude." "Scout" would have a higher seed if Bruce Willis and Demi Moore didn't slap that name on their spawn.

13. Consommé vs. 4. Iris

The other girl-appropriate soup name, "Consommé" would join "Bisque" if both 13 seeds escape from the Midwest and South Regions. If "Zooey" wins (see below), we will probably change our dog's name to "Iris." That is because we purchased her with a tax return. Come to think of it, these kids are going to be good for a tax credit...

12. Meredith vs. 5. Ophelia

Two of our friends are pregnant with due dates in September. Their names? Meredith. We figured that "Meredith" should therefore get an honorable mention. She is not up against a Shakespeare character. We cannot stress this enough.

6. Grace vs. 11. Marcia

Going with the 11 Seed could lead to a certain amount of sibling rivalry. Might want to vote for "Grace" in this round.

10. Allison vs. 7. Gloria

We don't mean "Allison" in an Elvis Costello way, although it's a nice song. We do mean "Gloria" in a Patti Smith way. Kick ass.

8. Zooey vs. 9. Julia

Our dog is named "Zoe," so we will have to rename her if the 8 Seed wins it all. We would probably have ranked "Zooey" higher, but we really don't want the veterinarian's staff to think that we are total weirdos.

14 comments:

  1. 1, 2, 3 (even though Alice told us the name was ugly - see, familial constructive criticism comes from all sides - I love it and if I were taging backwards and could convince Brian to have another and if, no when, that baby was a girl, I would go with Maude), 4, 12, 6, 10, 9

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on a roll now. Am I crashing the South Region's party? Rule wise maybe, but considering I'm from Georgia, I feel that it's my duty to vote in this bracket. I must say that some of the names are starting to get personal. Heck fire!
    1,2,14,4 (Dagnabbit, while I know and dearly love one of the Merediths, I have always loved the name Ophelia. Please forgive me Meredith C. - I will buy you a super-duper cool baby present),5,6,7,9

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this region and the Midwest get more interesting with the explanations of the choices. I feel like it's harder to choose.

    1. Parker
    2. Charlotte
    3. Maude
    13. Consommé
    12. Meredith
    6. Grace (why not Jan vs. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia?)
    10. Allison
    8. Zooey

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1,2,14,4,12,6,7,9

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee. I like this bracket! You really have another Meredith due in September? Wow...

    1. Parker
    2. Charlotte
    3. Maude
    4. Iris
    12. Meredith
    I am not a narcissist - my parents just picked a good girl's name. (I was going to be Ian, if I came out on the other side). Melissa, I am not in the least bit offended by your choice. If there are too many Merediths in your life, you will get confused. That is one of the benefits of having a relatively unpopular name.

    6. Grace
    7. Gloria
    9. Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1, 2, 14, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1 Parker
    9 Julia
    4 Iris
    12 Meredith
    2 Charlotte
    7 Gloria
    14 Scout
    6 Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandma Stanley
    15. Ashley (old English) Ash tree.
    14. Scout (French) Watchman
    4. Iris (Greek) Goddess of the Rainbow.
    12. Meredith (old Welsh) Protector of the sea.
    10. Allison (Irish) of noble birth.
    9. Julia (Latin) Youthful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grandma Stanley
    Add these two to the list.
    1. Parker
    6. Grace (Latin) Graceful, blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1 - Parker
    2 - Charlotte
    3 - Maude
    4 - Iris
    5 - Ophelia
    6 - Grace
    7 - Gloria
    9 - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary Lou again:
    1. Parker
    2. Charlottle
    3. Maude
    5. Iris
    5. Meredith
    6. Grace
    10 Allison
    11. Julia
    11. Julia

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. Parker, 2. Charlotte, 3. Maude (I notice Alice hasn't voted. Did she get banned for previous constructive criticism?), 4. Iris,
    12. Meredith, 5. Grace, 10. Allison, 9. Julia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Parker
    Charlotte
    Scout -- love both characters, but our VW bus is named after the young at heart Maude. :o)
    Iris
    Ophelia
    Grace
    Allison
    Julia

    ReplyDelete